Welcome to Monrovia Middle!
pdf Click for Back to School News 2018-19
It is May! I cannot believe how quickly this school year has gone by and reflecting back I feel very grateful to have been a part of your child’s journey. We have about three weeks left in this 2018-2019 school year, please encourage your child to continue to try their best and to make good choices.
We are wrapped up our ILEARN assessment this week and I want to express how proud I am of the effort and hard work the students gave during this testing window. This is the first year for Indiana to give the ILEARN assessment, therefore it is a baseline and learning year for us all. This assessment is very different from the ISTEP of the past, both in the depth of knowledge the students had to demonstrate and the endurance to stay on task for an extended period of time. As the teachers and I plan for next year we will be implementing ways for the students to practice academic endurance throughout the school year to help better prepare them in 2020.
The middle school had our first musical this month presenting “Willy Wonka, Jr.” and I cannot be more proud of the students and staff involved in this production. Mrs. Armour, Mrs. Sears, Ms. Lien, and Ms. Bowen led the student actors and crew members to create an amazing show! The level of talent our students portrayed left me in awe and I am so glad they had the opportunity to shine in a middle school production. This is just the beginning for our drama program and I cannot wait to see what they do next year!
Middle school track, baseball, softball, and golf seasons are underway so please take advantage of this beautiful spring weather to support our Bulldogs! The students and coaches have put in a lot of time and work to represent our school through athletics and cheering them on is a great way to show our appreciation. We had 4 MMS Students participate in the State Track Competition and I am so proud of their hard work and positive representation of Monrovia Middle School!
We have several field trips scheduled this month! Our 7th grade will be visiting Hot Skates in Avon on May 23rd, 6th grade will be vising Chicago on May 24th and our 8th grade will be seeing the Lincoln sites in Springfield, Illinois on May 29th.
- 6th grade students be at school by 6:30 am
- Go to the cafeteria to meet with your group and get your schedule for the day. T-shirts will also be passed out at that time
- Bring a sack lunch and have money for dinner
- Parents attending please be sure your background check is on file with the MMS office
- 8th Grade will leave at 8 am on May 29th and return around 9:30 pm
- Students need to eat breakfast at home and bring money for dinner
We will have our Awards ceremony on Thursday, May 30th. We will begin with 6th grade at 8:10 am, followed by 7th grade at 9:10 am, and finish with 8th grade at 10:10 am. The ceremony will be held in the auditorium of the Performing Arts Center.
Finally, I would like to thank you all for partnering with me as I complete my first year as a building principal. I have learned so much this year and I am excited to see what our school can be in the future. Thank you for all you do to support our school, teachers, and me as we work together to help our students succeed.
We are located in Monrovia, Indiana which is approximately 20 miles southwest of Indianapolis. We are a growing community south of Interstate 70 on State Road 39.
Monrovia Middle School strives to prepare students to meet the challenges of today, to become productive citizens and life-long learners by providing an appropriate standards-based curriculum in a safe, supportive environment where students can achieve academic, social, and behavioral success.
We, as educators, pledge:
- Students will demonstrate excellence and proficiency in all curricular areas as outlined in the Indiana State Standards.
- Staff members will participate in a variety of strategies to increase professional skill thus promoting educational growth for themselves and their students.
- Staff members will engage in an aggressive campaign to increase the student body’s proficiency in the communication skills of reading and writing.
The beliefs of the faculty and staff of Monrovia Middle School are:
- We believe in the achievement of all students
- We study, share, and implement best practices effectively and with fidelity for the betterment of our students and staff
- We do what's best for kids all the time
Parents of 8th graders,
The 2018-2019 21st Century Scholars Program offers income-eligible Hoosier students up to four years of paid tuition at an eligible Indiana college or university after they graduate from high school. This is a great opportunity for our 8th graders to start earning money for college now!
Twenty-First Century Scholars information
pdf Enrollment Information Flyer
pdf Enrollment Application Worksheet